Turkey Giblet Gravy
|Turkey giblets||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Celery tops||1 (Few Top Required)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Fat||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (From Roast Turkey)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Combine giblets except liver, onion, celery tops, 1 teaspoon salt, bay leaf and 4 cups water in a large saucepan. Simmer for 1 hour and 40 minutes; add liver, simmer for 20 minutes longer or until meat is tender.
2. Strain the broth into a quart-size measure; add water, if necessary, to make 4 cups.
3. Chop the giblets fine and stir into broth. Cool, then chill until ready to make gravy. Reserve for Step 5.
4. After turkey has been removed from roasting pan, remove rack, if used; tip pan and let fat rise in one corner. Pour all fat into a cup, leaving juices in pan. Measure 1/2 cup fat and return to pan; blend in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, just until bubbly.
5. Stir in giblet broth and giblets; continue cooking and stirring, scraping baked-on juices from bottom and sides of pan, until gravy thickens and bubbles 3 minutes.
6. Taste and season with salt and pepper; stir in a little bottled gravy coloring, if you wish.