Eggplant Ham Bake
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Dairy sour cream||8 Ounce (1 Carton)|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggplant||1 Medium, pared and cut into 1/2 inch slices|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thin cooked ham slices||12|
|Sliced muenster cheese||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
1. Saute onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter or margarine just until tender in small skillet; put in small bowl; slowly stir in sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
2. Combine egg, milk, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow dish; place the bread crumbs in second dish.
3. Dip eggplant in egg mixture, then in crumbs; brown eggplant, a few pieces at a time, in oil in a large skillet, 3 minutes per side.
4. Line bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with eggplant slices.
5. Spread half of sour-cream mixture over eggplant; top with 6 ham slices and half of the cheese; repeat layers; cover pan with foil.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) about 25 minutes, or until bubbly; uncover; bake another 5 minutes to brown top.