Roast Turkey With Giblet Gravy
|Stuffing||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Of Choice, Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Ready to stuff turkey||14 Pound (1 Whole, Fresh / Frozen, Thawed)|
|Giblet gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
1. Prepare any one of the recommended stuffings; set aside.
2. Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for Giblet Gravy. Rinse turkey with running cold water and drain well; pat dry with paper towels.
3. Spoon some stuffing lightly into neck cavity (do not pack stuffing; it expands during cooking). Fold neck skin over stuffing; fasten neck skin to back with 1 or 2 skewers. With turkey breast side up, lift wings toward neck, then fold them under back of turkey so they stay in place.
4. Spoon some stuffing lightly into body cavity.* Close by folding skin lightly over opening; skewer if necessary. Depending on brand of
turkey, with string, tie legs and tail together, or push drumsticks under band of skin, or use stuffing clamp.
5. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in open roasting pan. Brush skin with salad oil. Cover turkey with a loose tent of foil so turkey does not brown too much. Insert meat thermometer through foil into thickest part of thigh, next to body, being careful that pointed end of thermometer does not touch bone. Roast turkey in 325°F. oven about 4 1/2 hours. Start checking turkey for doneness during last hour of roasting.
6. While turkey is roasting, prepare giblets and neck to use in Giblet Gravy.
7. To brown turkey, remove foil tent 20 to 30 minutes before turkey is done and, with pastry brush, brush turkey generously with pan drippings for attractive sheen. Turkey is done when thigh temperature on thermometer reaches 180° to 185°F. and thickest part of drumstick feels soft when pressed with fingers (protected by paper towels). (Breast temperature should be 170° to 175°F., stuffing temperature 160° to 165°F.)
8. When turkey is done, place on warm large platter; keep warm. Prepare Giblet Gravy.
Calories 311 Calories from Fat 137
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.4%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 134.5 mg44.8%
Sodium 191.8 mg8%
Total Carbohydrates 2 g0.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.37 g1.5%
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 39 g77.4%
Vitamin A 0.9% Vitamin C 0.12%
Calcium 3% Iron 13.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet