Meat Stuffed Acorn Squash
|Acorn squash||2 Medium|
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1. Cook squash. Cut squash in half; scoop out seedy centers. Cover with plastic wrap.
2. Put ground beef into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Cover with waxed paper. Cook in microwave oven 4 minutes at High, or until meat is no longer pink; break meat apart and stir with a wooden spoon once. Drain and set aside.
3. Put onion and 1 tablespoon butter into a 1-cup glass measuring cup. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 2 minutes at High. Add to ground beef along with 1 teaspoon salt, the brown sugar and nutmeg; stir.
4. Scoop out some of the cooked squash from each half, leaving a 1/4-inch rim; add to beef mixture and mix with a fork. Set squash halves on a microwave-oven-safe platter.
5. Put 1 teaspoon butter into each squash half and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon one-quarter of meat-and-squash mixture into each squash shell. Top with 1 teaspoon butter and sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired. Cover with plastic wrap. Cook in microwave oven 4 minutes at High.
6. Let stand covered 5 minutes.