Minced Seville Marmalade
|Seville oranges||2 Pound (1 Kilogram, Bitter Variety)|
|Water||4 Pint (3 Liter)|
|Granulated sugar||4 Pound (8 Kilogram)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram)|
1. Wash the fruit well and remove stalks.
2. Halve each orange. Squeeze out the pips and collect in a muslin cloth. Tie the muslin with a long string.
3. Halve the lemon, squeeze and collect juice.
4. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add the lemon juice an immerse the muslin bag with the pips, tying it to the handle
5. Mince the orange shells in a food processor and add to the lemon juice in the pan.
6. Allow to marinate overnight.
7. Cut waxed tissue circles, to fit the rim on the jars.
8. Preheat the oven to 225°F/ 110°C/ Gas ¼ , 20 minutes before preparing the marmalade.
9. Place the saucepan with the marinated fruit on a low flame.
10. Cover the pan and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes then uncover and simmer for 1 hour till reduced to half
11. Meanwhile, place the preserve jars or jam bottles in the preheated oven to warm and sterilize.
12. Add sugar in a bowl and place in the oven to warm.
13. Add the warmed sugar to the marmalade after it has reduced. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
14. Increase the heat and boil the mixture after the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally to prevent the sugar from caramelizing.
15. When the syrup has boiled rapidly for 15-20 minutes, it will turn to a thick syrupy consistency.
16. Remove the pip bag when setting point has been reached.
17. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the butter.
18. Allow the marmalade to stand for 15 minutes and cool slightly
19. Stir the marmalade before potting..
20. Spoon the mixture into the warmed jars, to the brim and place the waxed tissue circles, wax side down to cover the jar.
21. Wipe the jars clean from the outside.
22. Put on the lids when puree is hot or after it has cooled.
23. Put a label mentioning the date on the jar.
24. Store in a cool dry place like your pantry.
25. Serve the preserve with muffins, bagels, scones, toast, with pancakes or use as a filling or topping as desired.
Calories 307 Calories from Fat 5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.62 g0.95%
Saturated Fat 0.29 g1.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.2 mg0.4%
Sodium 0.16 mg0.01%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g26%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g5%
Sugars 73.6 g
Protein 0.52 g1%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 4.3%
Calcium 0.3% Iron 0.17%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet