Green Mango Preserve
|Green mangoes||10 Small (Enough To Give 1/4 Kg When Ready)|
|Sugar||300 Gram (Or To Taste)|
|Cinnamon stick||2 (Each 2 Inches Thick)|
|Green food color||3 Drop|
|Lime||1 Teaspoon (Chunnam)|
1. Wash, skin, and de-seed the mangoes. Cut them into even-sized pieces and weigh. The pieces should be 1/4 kg in weight. Tie the spices in a spice bag or a thin muslin cloth, and keep aside.
2. Dissolve the lime in plenty of water, soak the pieces (there should be enough water to cover the pieces completely), and leave overnight.
3. Next day, discard all the water and wash the pieces in two or three changes of fresh water. Once again thoroughly drain all the water. Dab each piece with a cloth or paper towel to remove all moisture.
4. Dissolve the sugar in 2 cups of water, add the spice bag and boil until a syrup is formed.
5. Add the mango pieces and boil further until the syrup gets thick and the pieces turn crystal clear (transparent). Since the pieces are to be preserved in sugar syrup, see that there is enough water for syrup while cooking. Also the pieces should be completely immersed in syrup when bottling.
6. Remove from fire, and discard the spice bag (after squeezing it completely). Add the colour, mix thoroughly, cool and bottle.