Sweet Hot Avakai
|Mangoes||1 Kilogram, cut into pieces|
|Powdered jaggery||300 Gram|
|Chilly powder||200 Gram|
|Mustard powder||200 Gram|
|Fenugreek seeds||50 Gram|
|Turmeric powder||25 Gram|
|Oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Adjust Quantity Sufficient To Mix Masala Powders)|
1. Put the mango pieces, salt and turmeric powder into a jar, and shake thoroughly to mix.
2. Leave the jar aside for 2-3 days, shaking it once daily. By the end of the third day, you will find that the mango pieces have exuded a lot of water (juice).
3. On the third day, remove the pieces onto a steel plate, pour the mango juice into a bowl and sun both separately for a couple of days until the juice is reduced to almost half the original quantity. Remove from the sun and cool both thoroughly.
4. Mix the masala powders with enough oil, coat the pieces with this and put them in the jar. Set aside the jar.
5. Add one cup of water to the jaggery and boil until the jaggery is dissolved. Remove from fire, strain (to remove grit), and set to boil again until a thick syrup is obtained.
6. Remove the syrup from fire, pour this onto the mango juice and mix. When completely cool add this to the jar, and mix once again thoroughly. Cover tight and store.