Roasted Fennel Mac
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs) (chopped)|
|Fennel bulb||1 (Halved)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon (+1 teaspoon)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (1/2-1 tsp)|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (combination of Gruyere & Parmesan, grated. Reserve 1/4 cup for topping)|
|Cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1/2-1 cup)|
|Vegetable stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1/2-1 cup)|
|Pasta water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pasta||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pear||1 (thinly sliced for topping)|
1. Drizzle fennel with 1 t olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place cut side down on baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes (or until fennel is tender).
2. Cook pasta.
1. Heat pan over medium heat. Add 2 T oil. When oil is hot, add onion, carrot, and a pinch of salt. Cook 3-5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
3. When fennel is done, remove from oven and let cool slightly. Chop. Add to pan with veggies.
Move veggies to one side. Add 1-2 T more oil.
4. When it’s hot, whisk in 2 T flour, cook 30-60 seconds. Slowly, a little bit at a time, whisk in milk, stock, cream, and pasta water. Let it thicken a little after each addition of more liquid. Add pasta water. Cook until just before it boils.
5. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, apple cider vinegar, and pepper.
6. Taste and add more salt if needed.
1. Toss pasta with sauce.
2. Top with thinly sliced pear, and top pear with cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
4. Remove and Enjoy!