Homemade Mac And Cheese
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (Plus More For Greasing Baking Dish)|
|Elbow macaroni||1⁄2 Pound (Or Other Type Of Pasta)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|White wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Gruyere cheese||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), shredded|
|Cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Panko breadcrumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and adjust racks to the middle.
2. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish or individual ramekins with olive oil.
3. Add pasta to a large pot of boiling salted water over medium heat and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
4. Add 3 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once the butter and olive oil begins to bubble, add the shallots and garlic and sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the tomato paste and flour and stir for 1 to 2 minutes to make a roux.
6. Add the white wine and cook for 30 seconds until alcohol evaporates.
7. Slowly add the cream while whisking to remove any lumps.
8. Add the onion powder, dry mustard, ground pepper, and bay leaf.
9. Bring the cream to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer. Reduce the cream for about 5-10 minutes until it is thick enough to coat a spoon. When thickened, remove the bay leaf.
10. Remove from heat and stir in the grated cheeses, a handful at a time, combining thoroughly after each addition.
11. Add the pasta and stir.
12. Add mixture to the greased baking dish or individual ramekins and sprinkle with extra shredded cheese and panko breadcrumbs.
13. Bake for 25 minutes (timing will be less if using ramekins).
14. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.