Home-style Baked Macaroni And Cheese
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cajun seasoning||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon, ground|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||6 Cup (96 tbs), finely grated|
|Macaroni||2 Cup (32 tbs) (elbow macaroni)|
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 1 1/2 quart casserole with cooking spray.
2) Fill a medium sauce pan with water and place 1 Tablespoon of butter. Place on medium heat so that the water is heating while other cooking is being done.
3) Place the milk in a microwave safe container or another sauce pan to warm it for about 2 minutes.
4) In the deep skillet, place the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Turn on medium heat. Melt the butter, stirring with whisk. Toss in the flour alittle at a time stirring continuously. Cook for 1 minute.
5) Slowly pour in the warmed milk while whisking continuously.
6) Once completely blended with the butter and flour; cook for 10 minutes stirring continuously. If you stop, the milk and flour will burn. Remove pan from heat.
7) At this point, cook the macaroni in boiling water. Stir well and cook for only 3 minutes.
8) Meanwhile, stir into the white sauce mixture, the Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper and ground nutmeg. Little by little stir in 4 cups of sharp cheddar cheese. Cover and set aside.
9) Drain the cooked macaroni in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well.
10) Gradually spoon the macaroni into the cheese sauce mixture until all macaroni is covered in cheese sauce. 11) Pour into a 1 ½ quart casserole dish.
12) Place casserole dish into the preheated oven on a cookie sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
13) Remove from oven and cover with remaining shredded cheese. Let sit for 5 minutes.
14) Serve the classic mac and cheese while it is still hot and fresh. Some toasted bread would make a great companion to the dish.