Tuna And Macaroni Bake
|Dried macaroni||7 Ounce (200 Gram, Whole-Wheat If Preferred)|
|Frozen peas||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Skimmed milk||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Plain flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce, sieved (40 Gram)|
|English mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Tuna in brine||1 Can (10 oz), drained (400 Gram)|
|Half fat cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Ounce, grated (40 Gram)|
1) In a large pan of boiling water, cook the macaroni for about 7 minutes,.
2) Then add the peas and simmer for a further 3 minutes, or until the pasta is 'al dente' - just tender.
3) Drain both peas and macaroni and return to the pan, cover and keep warm.
4) Preheat the grill.
5) Meanwhile, make the sauce.
6) In a saucepan, place the milk, flour and bay leaves.
7) Boil the mixture over a gentle heat, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.
8) Let the sauce simmer gently for a further minute, stirring frequently.
9) Remove the bay leaves from the pan and discard.
10) Add the mustard and parsley.
11) Season the sauce well with black pepper.
11) Pour the sauce over the macaroni and add in the drained tuna chunks.
13) Mix well and gently heat through.
14) In a large, 2 litre (3 1/2 pint) flameproof dish, transfer the macaroni.
15) Sprinkle the cheese over macaroni and cook under a preheated moderate grill for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese has turned a pale golden brown.
16) Do not let the cheese burn. Because of its lower fat content, it can brown very suddenly.
17) Serve the tuna and macaroni with grilled tomatoes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1439 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.4%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.5 mg5.8%
Sodium 589.4 mg24.6%
Total Carbohydrates 233 g77.6%
Dietary Fiber 14.3 g57%
Sugars 35.8 g
Protein 107 g213.5%
Vitamin A 102.2% Vitamin C 110.4%
Calcium 85.2% Iron 64.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet