Fancy Stuffed Macaroni Shells
|Whole wheat macaroni shells||16 (Jumbo Variety)|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Onions||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Ricotta cheese||500 Milliliter (2 Cups)|
|Spinach||3⁄4 Pound (340 Gram)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Oregano||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Corn oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Shallots||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock/Use milk/combination||500 Milliliter (2 Cups)|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon, grated|
1. Wash the spinach thoroughly.
2. Blanch or steam the spinach in very little hot water, just until the leaves are wilted.
3. Drain well, squeezing out excess water with hands and pat dry on paper toweling.
4. Finely chop and keep aside.
5. Grease an 8-inch casserole or baking dish.
6. Preheat the oven to 375Â°F (190Â° C.)
7. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni shells for about 10 to 12 minutes, until tender â€“crisp or al dente.
8. Drain, refresh in cold water, separating the shells gently to prevent sticking. Keep aside.
9. To make the filling, heat a small sautÃ© pan over high heat.
10. Add celery and onion along with a few drops of water and stir fry until limp.
11. Add garlic and chopped spinach and sautÃ© for another few minutes until spinach is cooked.
12. Tip the mixture into a large bowl and let cool slightly
13. Crumble in the ricotta then add egg, oregano and nutmeg and mix thoroughly.
14. Spoon the mixture into the macaroni shells. Keep aside.
15. To make the sauce, in a small skillet, heat the oil.
16. Add shallots and fry for few minutes until it is limp and translucent.
17. Stir in flour and sautÃ© with onion for 2 minutes.
18. Gradually pour in stock or milk, stirring constantly, to make a smooth paste.
19. Cook on a low heat, stirring continuously until sauce is thick and bubbly.
20. In greased casserole dish, spread half the sauce.
21. Arrange stuffed macaroni shells on top
22. Pour remaining sauce over shells and cover with grated cheese.
23. Cover dish with foil or its lid
24. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
25. Uncover the casserole and bake for another 15 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
26. Take the casserole straight from the oven to the table and serve the macaroni hot and cheesy.