Aragosta Fra Diavolo
|Live lobsters||4 Pound, split in half lengthwise (2nos., 2 pounds each)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onions||1 Ounce, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Dry white wine||3⁄8 Pint|
|Ripe firm tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped|
|Fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Dried red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crushed|
1. Remove and discard the stomach sac near the head of each lobster and the long intestine attached to it. Remove and put aside the greenish brown liver and the black caviar-like eggs if there are any.
2. Using sharp knife, cut off the claws and crack the flat underside of each large claw with a sharp blow. Remove and discard the small claws and the antennae.
3. In a frying pan, heat oil, add the lobster bodies and large claws and cook them over a high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, turning them once or twice.
4. Onto a plate, transfer the lobsters. Pour off almost all the fat from the frying pan, leaving a thin film on the bottom.
5. Add the onions, garlic and cook them over a moderate heat, stirring frequently, for 7 to 8 minutes, until the onions are transparent.
6. Add wine and boil briskly over high heat, stirring constantly, until it is reduced in volume to about 1/4 pint. Add the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, red pepper and salt and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly.
7. Into the pan, return the lobsters to the pan, cover and cook over a moderate heat for 8 to 10 minutes, basting every few minutes.
8. Sieve the liver and coral through a fine sieve and stir them into the hot sauce.
9. Allow the sauce simmer for a minute or two without boiling and season well.
10. On a deep heated serving dish, arrange the pieces of lobster and ladle the sauce over them.