Lobster Souffle, Plaza Athenee
|Live lobsters/3 10- to 12-oz size||3 Pound|
|Frozen rock lobster tails||1 Pound (Thawed)|
|Pared carrot||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Chives||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sauterne||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Egg whites||6 (At Room Temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
To kill lobster:
1. On a wooden board lay lobster on back.
2. Sever spinal cord by inserting point of knife through to back shell where body and tail of lobster come together.
3. With sharp knife, split body down middle, cutting through the under- shell.
4. Discard dark vein and small sac 2 inches below head.
5. Crack large claws with nutcracker.
To Prepare Lobster Mixture:
6. With sharp knife, cut lobster and shell into large pieces (if using tails, cut into thirds).
7. In hot oil in large skillet, saute lobster pieces (shell and all), turning occasionally, 5 minutes until red and remove to bowl.
8. In drippings in same skillet, saute carrot, onion, parsley, and chives until carrot and onion are tender for about 2 minutes and return lobster to skillet.
9. Add paprika, 1 cup cream, the sauterne and cognac cook gently, covered for 10 minutes.
10. Remove lobster cut away shell and discard.
11. Slice lobster meat 1/4 inch thick and set aside.
12. Over medium heat, simmer the cream mixture, stirring, to reduce to 1 cup.
13. Force through coarse strainer and reserve for Lobster Sauce.
To Make Lobster Sauce:
14. In small saucepan melt 3 tablespoons butter.
15. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons flour until smooth.
16. Gradually stir in 1 cup milk and bring to boiling, stirring.
17. Remove from heat stir in cream, sherry and reserved mixture.
18. In a bowl combine 1 cup sauce with cut-up lobster turn into 1-1/2-quart shallow baking dish and reserve rest of sauce.
19. Preheat oven to 375 F.
To Make Souffle:
20. In medium sauce- pan melt butter.
21. Remove from heat stir in flour, 1 teaspoon salt and dash cayenne until smooth.
22. Gradually stir in milk and bring to boiling, stirring.
23. Reduce heat simmer until mixture becomes very thick and leaves bottom and side of pan and remove from heat.
24. With wire whisk, beat mixture into egg yolks in large bowl mix well and beat in cheese.
25. In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar and 1 tea- spoon salt just until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
26. With wire whisk or rubber scraper, fold egg whites, one half at a time, into egg-yolk mixture just until well combined.
27. Pour over lobster in baking dish and bake 35 to 40 minutes until puffed and nicely browned.
28. Just before serving, gently reheat reserved lobster sauce.
29. Serve souffle at once with sauce.