Spinach Pasta And Cheese Loaf
|Fresh spinach/2 packages, 10 ounce size, frozen chopped spinach||2 Pound|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light cream/Half and half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground pepper||1 Dash|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Dash|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated swiss cheese/Gruyere cheese||2 Ounce (1/2 cup)|
|Elbow macaroni||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), cooked|
|Cubed carrot||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), cooked (1/2 inch cubes)|
|Diced red pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For cheese sauce|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground white pepper||1 Dash|
|Ground red pepper||1 Dash|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1⁄4 Pound, grated (1 cup)|
1. To prepare the spinach wash it, remove and discard large stems.
2. Place in large kettle with just the water clinging to leaves and cook, covered, tossing with a fork once or twice, 5 minutes until spinach is just tender.
3. Drain very well and chop coarsely.
4. If using frozen spinach, cook as package label directs and drain very well.
5. Preheat oven to 350F.
6. Grease well a 9-by-5-by-2 3/4-inch loaf pan, line bottom with a strip of aluminum foil and dust with Parmesan cheese.
7. In large saucepan, heat butter and saute onion until tender-€”about 5 minutes.
8. Add spinach, cream, salt, sugar, pepper and nutmeg, heat just to boiling and remove from heat.
9. In a large bowl, beat eggs slightly, add bread crumbs and Swiss cheese; gradually stir in spinach mixture, macaroni, carrot and red pepper.
10. Turn into prepared pan, set pan in larger baking pan on oven rack pouring water into pan to depth of 1 1/2 inches.
11. Place a piece of waxed paper over top of pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes until knife inserted in center of spinach mixture comes out clean.
12. With a small spatula loosen mold around edge.
To make the Cheese Sauce :
13. In small saucepan, slowly melt butter taking care to not let it to brown and remove from heat.
14. Stir in flour, mustard, salt, white pepper, red pepper and cream until smooth.
15. Bring to boiling, stirring until thickened.
16. Reduce heat, add cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
17. Invert onto heated serving platter and serve with Cheese Sauce.