Bulgur Wheat Loaf
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Bulgur wheat||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour/Unbleached flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Pillsbury's Best)|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs), heated to 120 to 130�f (As Required)|
|Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Pillsbury's Best)|
|Bulgur wheat||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Grease cookie sheet.
3. In a saucepan, boil 3/4 cup water.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup bulgur.
5. Set aside for 20 to 25 minutes until water is absorbed.
6. Fill flour into measuring cup and level off.
7. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup all purpose flour, brown sugar, salt, yeast, 1 cup hot water and oil and beat at low speed until moist.
8. Beat for 3 minutes at medium speed.
9. Mix bulgur mixture, whole wheat flour and additional 1 cup all purpose flour with hand to form a stiff dough .
10. Knead on a floured surface. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup all purpose flour until dough is elastic .
11. Place in a greased bowl and turn the greased side up.
12. With greased plastic wrap and cloth towel cover loosely.
13. Set aside in warm place (80 to 85°F.) until light and double in size, for about 45 minutes.
14. To remove all air bubbles punch down dough several times.
15. Shape into a round loaf.
16. On the greased cookie sheet, place this.
17. Cover and set aside in warm place until light and almost double in size, for about 30 minutes.
18. Uncover dough.
19. Cut a 1/2-inch deep slash across top of the loaf with a knife.
20. Cut another at exactly right angle, making a cross.
21. Beat 2 teaspoons water and egg white until blended in a bowl.
22. Brush it over the top of loaf and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon bulgur, if desired.
23. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
24. Replace from cookie sheet and cool it on wire rack.
25. Serve as a snack.
Calories 627 Calories from Fat 141
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.7%
Saturated Fat 2.1 g10.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 261.8 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.6%
Dietary Fiber 10.2 g40.7%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 16 g33%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 3.2% Iron 31.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet