Apricot Ladder Loaf
Hot roll mix - 1 package
Egg - 1
Butter or margarine - 2 tablespoons, melted
Apricot preserves - 1/2 cup
Butter or margarine - 1/3 cup, softened
Almonds - 1/3 cup blanched, toasted, chopped
Confectioners' sugar icing - as required
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) In a bowl, soften the yeast from the hot roll mix in 3/4 cup warm water as per package directions.
3) Stir in half of the roll mix, then beat in egg and melted butter and stir in rest of the roll mix.
4) Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until double in bulk.
5) Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 1 minute.
6) Halve the dough, cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
7) Roll each half of the dough to a 9-inch square and place on greased baking sheets.
8) In a bowl, combine the apricot preserves, softened butter and almonds together.
9) Spread in a 3-inch strip down the center of each square of dough, then snip sides in1 inch wide strips towards the center.
10) Then fold side strips over the filling, alternating from side to side.
11) Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes, until almost double in bulk.
12) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until browned.
13) Allow to slightly cool then drizzle with confectioners' sugar icing.
14) Slice and serve the Apricot Ladder Loaf on a platter.