Ginger and Cherry Loaf
|Flour||6 Ounce (175 gram)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||3 Ounce (15 gram)|
|Crystallized ginger||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Glace cherries||2 Ounce, finely chopped (50 gram)|
|Demerara sugar||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Milk||105 Milliliter (7 tablespoons)|
1) Grease a 450g/1 lb loaf tin.
2) Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4).
3) In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and ground ginger.
4) Add the butter and rub into the flour until the mixture becomes crumbly.
5) Stir in the chopped ginger, cherries and 75 g/ 3 oz/1/2 cup sugar, then add the milk and make a stiff dough.
6) In the prepared tin, spoon the mixture, smooth the top and sprinkle the castor sugar over the mixture.
7) Bake in the preheated moderate oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
8) Let the loaf to cool in the tin, then turn out and remove the paper lining.
9) Wrap the loaf in foil and pack in a freezer bag.
10) Seal the bag, label and freeze.
11) Thaw the loaf in wrapping at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
12) Slice the loaf and serve.