Date and Walnut Loaf
|Self raising flour||3⁄4 Pound (350 gram)|
|Ground mixed spice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Castor sugar||3 Ounce (75 gram)|
|Dates||3 Ounce, stoned and chopped (75 gram)|
|Walnuts||75 Gram, finely chopped|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 milliliter)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
1) Take a 1 kg/2 lb loaf tin and line it with greased greaseproof paper or non-stick parchment.
2) Heat the oven to (180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4).
3) In a bowl, sift the flour, salt and spice(s).
4) Add the sugar, dates and walnuts and make a well in the centre.
5) Combine the eggs and milk together and mix well.
6) Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture with the butter and beat for 2 minutes until well mixed.
7) In the prepared tin, pour the mixture and smooth the top.
8) Bake in a preheated moderate oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
9) Turn out the loaf onto a wire rack, remove the paper lining and let it cool for few hours.
10) Wrap the loaf in foil and pack in a freezer bag.
11) Seal the bag, label and freeze.
12) Thaw the loaf at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
13) Cut it into slices and serve.