|Dates||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), cut up|
|Boiling water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Packed brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF (180°C).
2. Apply butter or margarine on a 9x5x3 inch (23 x 12 x 7 cm) loaf pan.
3. Take a small bowl, add in cut up dates, boiling water and soda. Stir and cool.
4. In a different bowl, beat in egg lightly. Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Add in date mixture and stir well.
5. Mix flour and baking powder together then pour into date mixture. Mix.Stir in nuts and melted butter. Mix
6. Transfer into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
7. Check the doneness with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes. Take away from pan to finish cooling on rack.
8. Make slices and serve. Or wrap and store.