Date And Walnut Loaf
|Chopped dates||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg/2 small||1 Large|
|Vanilla/1 teaspoon grated lemon / orange rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven at 325°.
2) In a bowl, place the dates and sprinkle with soda.
3) Pour in boiling water and stand, until cools.
4) In another bowl, whip butter by adding sugar.
5) Add beaten eggs, salt and flavoring to the butter.
6) Add flour, dates and nuts.
7) Blend the mixture to smooth consistency.
8) Use a greased loaf pan to pour the batter. Place aside to rise the batter for 20 minutes.
9) Place the pan inside the oven to bake for an hour.
10) Cool the bread inside the pan and invert on rack.
11) Slice the loaf and serve with your favorite fruit jam.