1) Use two 1-lb (1 1/2-pint or 1-litre capacity) loaf tins, to grease and line the base.
2) Preheat the oven to (180°C, 350°F/Gas 4).
3) In a saucepan with milk, dissolve the sugar over heat.
4) Remove from heat and add the halved prunes and marmalade.
5) Place aside to cool.
6) Separately sift together flour and spice.
7) Add this mixture to the pan.
8) Distribute the mixture between the tins.
9) Place inside oven to bake in the centre of the oven for 3/4-1 hour.
10) Slice and butter the top, to serve.
To freeze, wrap in foil, label, chill and store for up to 6 months.