Carrot and Cauliflower Loaf
|Cauliflower||2 Pound, broken into florets (1 Head)|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/4 inch slices|
|Heavy cream||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (Preferably Not Ultra Pasteurized)|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
|Freshly ground white pepper||To Taste|
1) Use a large pan of boiling salted water to cook the cauliflower for 15 to 20 minutes, or until very tender.
2) With a slotted spoon, remove the cauliflower and transfer to a sieve. Allow to drain for at least 10 minutes.
3) Place the pan over heat and bring again to boil.
4) Add the carrots to boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain them in a separate sieve.
5) In a food processor or food mill, process the vegetables separately to prepare puree.
6) Pass each puree through a fine-mesh sieve and drain again in separate sieves for about 15 minutes.
7) With an electric mixer and in two separate bowls beat each of the vegetable purees with 2 of the eggs, 1/3 cup of the cream, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and a pinch each of cayenne and white pepper.
8) Preheat the oven to 400°.
9) Use a 4- to 6-cup loaf pan to butter the inside.
10) First pour in the carrot puree, then the cauliflower.
11) Place the loaf pan in a larger pan filled with hot water that reaches about halfway up the sides of the pan.
12) Place inside the oven to bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
13) Remove the loaf pan from the water bath and let rest for about 1 hour, until lukewarm, before unmolding onto a platter. If water oozes out, then wipe dry with paper towels.
14) Gently cut into 1/2-inch slices and serve lukewarm or at room temperature.