Candied Fruit Loaf
|All purpose flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs), sifted|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Envelopes)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (1 1/2 Sticks)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Mixed candied fruits||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Sugar||2 Tablespoon (For Filling)|
|Blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Finely chopped blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a large bowl, mix 2 cups of flour, undissolved yeast, 1/3 cup sugar, salt and ½ cup butter or margarine.
2. In a small saucepan heat water and milk, not scalding hot. Add flour mixture and vanilla. Using an electric mix beat at a medium speed for 2 minutes. Do not over beat.
3. In a small bowl, beat eggs . Keep 2 tablespoons aside for glaze.
4. Using electric mix, add the eggs to the flour – yeast mixture and beat on high speed for 1 minute.
5. Stir in 1/2 cup of the wheat germ, candied fruits, and remaining flour to make a soft dough.
6. On a floured pastry board or cloth, knead until smooth and elastic, adding only enough extra flour to keep dough from sticking. Cover with transparent wrap and allow it to stand 20 minutes.
7. In a small bowl add 2 tablespoons of sugar, ¼ cup wheatgerm, ¼ cup butter or margarine making the mixture crumbly. Add the almonds, Set aside.
8. Divide dough in half; roll, half at a time, to a 12-inch square. Sprinkle half of the almond mixture overtop; press in lightly; roll up, jelly-roll fashion.
9. On a lightly greased baking sheet, place, seam side down. Repeat with second half of dough.
10. With the dough make cuts, 1 1/2 inches apart, along one side of roll from outer edge to center. Repeat on other side, spacing cuts halfway between those on opposite side. Turn each slice slightly on its side. Cover loosely with transparent wrap and chill in refrigerator for 2 hours.
11. After 2 hours, remove from refrigerator; uncover and let stand 10 minutes.
12. To the reserved the 2 tablespoon of eggs, stir 1 tablespoon water and brush over coffee cakes.
13. In a moderate oven bake at (350°) 35 minutes, or until golden and coffee cakes give a hollow sound when tapped.
14. Remove from baking sheets to wire racks; cool slightly.
15. Garnish with small wedges of green and yellow candied pineapple, i(f you wish)
16. Slice crosswise
17. Serve warm or cold.