Hearthside Sandwich Loaf
|Unsliced bread loaf||18 Ounce (1 about 8 inches long)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened|
|Minced onion||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Prepared mustard||3 Tablespoon|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Tabasco||4 Drop (adjust quantity as per taste)|
|Processed swiss cheese slice||12|
About 45 minutes before supper:
1. With fingers or vegetable parer, gently peel off thin layer from top crust of bread. With long, sharp knife, make 6 slightly diagonal cuts, at equal intervals, from top almost through to bottom of loaf.
2. Start heating oven to 350Â°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet.
3. In small bowl combine softened butter, onion, mustard, poppy seeds, lemon juice, and Tabasco. Reserve about 3 tablespoons of this mixture. With small spatula, evenly spread remaining mixture on cut surfaces of bread.
4. Place 2 cheese slices in each bread-cut so that they "poke out" slightly on top and sides. Place loaf on greased cookie sheet. Now spread reserved butter mixture over top and sides of loaf.
5. Bake 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and loaf is lightly browned.
6. Meanwhile, cook bacon slices until crisp and done. Drain on paper towels; keep warm. When loaf is done, lay bacon slices on top of it as pictured.
7. To serve, remove loaf with wide spatulas to serving dish; then, with long, sharp knife, continue each diagonal cut down through to bottom of loaf.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3262 Calories from Fat 1498
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 170 g261.5%
Saturated Fat 64.7 g323.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 252.2 mg84.1%
Sodium 3700.6 mg154.2%
Total Carbohydrates 324 g108%
Dietary Fiber 18.2 g72.9%
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 101 g202.6%
Vitamin A 57% Vitamin C 9.1%
Calcium 66.7% Iron 95.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet