Colourful Pinto Loaf With Carrot Sauce
|Pinto beans||6 Ounce, soaked (175 Gram)|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Carrot||4 Ounce, grated (125 Gram)|
|Sweetcorn||6 Ounce (Fresh / Frozen / Canned)|
|Dill seeds||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh marjoram||4 Teaspoon (2 Tablespoon)|
|Porridge oats||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Shoyu||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Bean stock||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Red pepper||1 Small, deseeded and cut into thin strips|
|Green pepper||1 , deseeded and cut into thin strips|
|Carrots||8 Ounce, sliced (250 Gram)|
|Vegetable stock||3⁄4 Pint (450 Milliliter)|
|Yeast extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange juice||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
1. Drain the beans. Place in a saucepan and cover with fresh water. Bring to the boil and boil fast for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the beans are soft. Drain, reserving the stock, and mash the beans while still warm.
2. Heat the oil and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5-7 minutes. Add the carrot and sweetcorn. If using frozen sweetcorn, defrost first; if using fresh sweetcorn, cook in boiling water for 5 minutes first. Rinse canned sweetcorn before using. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the dill seeds, marjoram, mashed beans and porridge oats and mix well. Beat together the egg, shoyu and black pepper. Add to the bean mixture. Add enough stock to make a moist consistency.
4. Lightly oil a 2 lb (1kg) loaf tin. Lay half the strips of red and green pepper along the base. Top with half of the bean mixture. Then lay the rest of the pepper strips on top, finishing with the remaining bean mixture.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 4,350°F, 180°C for 35-40 minutes. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out.
6. For the sauce, heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for 5-7 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
7. Pour on the water or vegetable stock, add the yeast extract. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
8. Puree the vegetables in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the pan, add the orange juice and parsley. Warm through gently, check the seasoning and serve on top of the loaf.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1524 Calories from Fat 223
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.3%
Saturated Fat 4.6 g23%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg70.5%
Sodium 3492.3 mg145.5%
Total Carbohydrates 274 g91.3%
Dietary Fiber 68.4 g273.7%
Sugars 56.8 g
Protein 71 g142.8%
Vitamin A 1327.9% Vitamin C 733.8%
Calcium 103.4% Iron 196%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet