Hearty Whole Wheat Loaf
|Whole wheat flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
|Rye flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Wheat bran||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Skim milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Corn oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Combine 3 cups of the whole-wheat flour, the rye flour, bran and wheat germ in a large bowl.
2. Transfer 3 cups of this mixture to a second large bowl and stir in the yeast and salt.
3. In a small saucepan combine the milk, oil, molasses and 1 cup of water. Heat over low heat until the mixture registers 120° on a kitchen thermometer.
4. Gradually add the liquid mixture to the flour-yeast mixture, beating constantly with an electric mixer on low speed just until blended. Increase the speed to medium and beat another 2 minutes. Reserving 1 egg white, beat in the remaining yolk and whole egg and an additional 2 cups of the flour mixture, and beat for another 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour mixture and enough of the remaining whole-wheat flour to make a soft dough.
5. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Add more whole-wheat flour if the dough is too sticky.
6. Spray a bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Shape the dough into a ball and place it in the bowl, turning the dough to coat it lightly with the spray. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
7. Punch down the dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Invert the bowl over the dough and let the dough rest another 15 minutes.
8. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal. Shape the dough into an oval and transfer to the baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
9. Preheat the oven to 350°
10. Cut three 1/8-inch-deep slits across the top of the loaf. Mix the reserved egg white with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the bread with the mixture. Bake the bread on the baking sheet 50 to 60 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5283 Calories from Fat 1346
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 154 g236.3%
Saturated Fat 17 g85%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 426.4 mg142.1%
Sodium 4172.4 mg173.8%
Total Carbohydrates 877 g292.4%
Dietary Fiber 173 g692.2%
Sugars 99.7 g
Protein 180 g360.2%
Vitamin A 11.8% Vitamin C 3.1%
Calcium 155.8% Iron 416.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet