Cold Jellied Loaf
|Boned veal shoulder||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Boned lamb shoulder||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Onions||2 Medium, sliced|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole pickled beets/Onions/sour gherkins||4 Small|
1. Place veal, lamb, bay leaf, salt, peppercorns and 1 onion in a large kettle; add enough cold water to cover. Bring to boil; skim surface; cover. Simmer for 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender and falls away from the bones.
2. Remove meat from bones. Strain cooking liquid and return to kettle; add lemon rind. Boil rapidly until liquid is reduced to about 1 quart.
3. Grind the meat and remaining onion, using the medium blade of a meat grinder. Add pepper, ginger and allspice. Place ground meat in the quart of reduced cooking liquid. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Soften gelatin 5 minutes in chicken broth. Add to meat mixture, stirring until dissolved.
5. Turn mixture into a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan which has been rinsed with cold water; chill overnight in refrigerator.
6. Unmold onto serving platter.