Almond Cracked Wheat Loaf
|Cracked wheat||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole almonds||4 Ounce (3/4 Cup)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Non-fat dry milk powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsulphured molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Combine the cracked wheat and 1 cup water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the wheat is tender and the water is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
2. Grind the almonds in blender or food processor or chop very fine.
3. In a medium-sized bowl mix the yeast, dry milk, salt, and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Add 1/2 cup very warm water, the oil, and molasses. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/4 cups more flour and beat at high speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the almonds, cracked wheat, and enough additional flour to make a firm dough.
4. Turn out onto floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Put in an oiled bowl and turn to oil the top. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to touch the dough. Let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until light (bread will not double).
5. Turn out, punch down, and shape into a ball. Put on an oiled baking sheet and cover with the same sheet of plastic. Let rise for 30 minutes or until light. Slash across the top with a sharp knife in three places.
6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack. Delicious toasted.