Baked Alaska Loaf
|Baked pound cake||10 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Whole)|
|Chocolate ice cream||1 Pint|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Slice pound cake lengthwise in three layers. Slice pint of ice cream lengthwise into 4 slices. Place one cake layer on aluminum foil. Alternate ice cream slices and remaining cake layer, ending with cake.
2. Wrap and freeze for several hours.
3. To bake, preheat convection oven to 450°F.
4. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff, not dry, peaks form.
5. Place frozen loaf on an oven-proof platter or round metal tray. Spread meringue on all surfaces. (Be sure to seal edges next to platter.)
6. Place platter on bottom metal rack. Cook in convection oven 2 1/2 to 3 minutes at 450°F, or until peaks are golden brown.