Braised Whole Liver
|Liver||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Salted fat pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Medium||2 Medium, sliced|
|Carrots||2 , sliced|
|Celery rib with leaves||1 , diced|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Bay leaf||1 , crushed|
|Crumbled dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Apple juice/Red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , rind grated|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Add some flour to a platter and coat the livers by rolling over this flour.
3. Dice the salted pork and keep it in a Dutch oven with some butter.
4. Simmer it until the salted pork gets melted and browned.
5. Stir in liver to the hot fat and burn it on both sides over high heat.
6. Take out the liver and stir in carrots, onions, parsley, celery, thyme, bay leaf and sugar.
7. Stir the mixture over medium heat for about 3 minutes until the vegetables get a fat coating.
8. Take a casserole, and add cooked vegetables and arrange the browned liver over it. Season it with salt and pepper.
9. Pour apple juice or red wine and the lemon rind.
10. Cover the casserole tightly and cook for about 45 minutes - 60 minutes at 350°F until the liver becomes soft.
11. Take out the liver from the liquid.
12. Boil the liquid until it gets slightly reduced. Don-€™t cover it during the cooking time.
13. Pass the mixture through a sieve to puree the vegetables. Use the vegetables as gravy.
14. Serve braised liver with vegetable gravy.