Kettle Liver and Onions
|Bacon slices||6 , cut into 1 inch pieces|
|White onions||18 Small, peeled|
|Lamb liver||1 Pound, sliced and cut into 1 inch wide strips|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Canned stewed tomatoes||1 Pound (1 can)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Frozen green peas and celery||10 Ounce (1 package)|
1) Take a Dutch oven or kettle and sautÃ© bacon in it. Remove and set aside.
2) Pour off all drippings except 3 tablespoons. Add the reserved 3 tablespoons back to kettle or Dutch oven. Add onions and sautÃ© until it turns golden brown in color.
3) Take a paper bag and place salt, pepper and flour in it. Shake liver strips in it to coat well.
4) Brown the strips in the same kettle or Dutch oven. Add more bacon drippings, if required.
5) Stir in water, tomatoes, onions and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until onions and liver are tender.
6) In the meanwhile, cook celery and peas according to label directions.
7) Spoon out the liver mixture in a heated serving bowl. Place peas and celery in a ring shape. Garnish with bacon and serve immediately.