Stuffed Lettuce Leaves
|Iceberg lettuce leaves||3|
|Canned white kidney beans||3 Ounce, drained|
|Low fat cottage cheese||2 Tablespoon (Plus 2 Teaspoons)|
|Onion flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Oregano leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground red pepper||1 Dash|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Teaspoon|
|Low fat american cheese||1⁄2 Ounce, cut into strips|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) Wash the lettuce leaves and keep them moist.
3) With the water still on the leaves, place them on a paper towel. Chill in the freezer for about 10 minutes. This would soften the leaves and it would be easier to roll them.
4) Combine together the onion flakes, cottage cheese, beans, oregano, red pepper (if preferred) and salt in a small bowl.
5) Onto the center of each lettuce leaf, spoon about 1/3rd of the bean mixture. Fold the sides of the leaf over the mixture, starting from the core end. Roll to enclose the filling.
6) Put the stuffed leaves in 1 Â¾-cup casserole, keeping the seam-side down. Top with the tomatoes.
7) Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
8) Take the casserole out of the oven.
9) Sprinkle Parmesan cheese all over the leaves and then top with the American cheese.
10) Return the casserole to the oven. Bake till the cheese has melted and is golden brown in color.
11) Serve hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 65
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.8%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g16.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.4 mg5.8%
Sodium 1115.2 mg46.5%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.4%
Dietary Fiber 16.3 g65.2%
Sugars 23.5 g
Protein 23 g45.3%
Vitamin A 104.2% Vitamin C 67.4%
Calcium 40.8% Iron 31.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet