Peas Cooked With Button Onions And Lettuce In Butter
|Green peas||2 Pound|
|Sugar in the raw||1 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Shell the pea pods
2. Collect the peas in a large bowl
3. Wash the peas and drain them well
4. Peel and rinse the button onions
5. Wash and separate the lettuce leaves
6. Discard any leaves that are spoilt and shred the remaining
7. In a small saucepan, heat three-quarters of the butter
8. Add the onions to the saucepan, and sauté for 3 minutes till cooked. Ensure that the onions are cooked but not browned
9. Add the lettuce and cook for a minute
10. Tip in the peas
11. Pour water into the pot just so that the vegetables are covered with water
12. Tip in sugar, salt and pepper.
13. Cook gently until the vegetables for about 15 to 20 minutes till they are tender.
14. In a small bowl, blend the leftover butter with the flour to make a paste. This is called as beurre manie.
15. Add this mix to the boiling liquid little by little to form a thick soup.
16. Check seasoning and turn off the heat.
17. Serve hot with a border of duchesse potatoes