Butter Braised Hearts Of Lettuce
|Romaine lettuce head/4 heads boston lettuce||2 , trimmed of stems and coarse leaves and washed|
|Chicken broth/Beef broth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a large skillet, melt butter
2. Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
3. Immerse the lettuce leave in the broth and cover the pan with its lid.
4. Simmer lettuce for 10 minutes until wilted and tender-crisp.
5. Halve hearts lengthwise, transfer to serving dish and salt to taste.
6. Boil remaining cooking liquid, uncovered, until reduced to about 2 tablespoons.
7. Season liquid with pepper
8. Pour the reduction over lettuce, toss and serve.
If using romaine, slice off tops so hearts are 8 inches long.