Butter Braised Hearts Of Lettuce
|Romaine lettuce head/4 heads boston lettuce||2 , trimmed of stems and coarse leaves and washed|
|Chicken broth/Beef broth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a large skillet, melt butter
2. Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
3. Immerse the lettuce leave in the broth and cover the pan with its lid.
4. Simmer lettuce for 10 minutes until wilted and tender-crisp.
5. Halve hearts lengthwise, transfer to serving dish and salt to taste.
6. Boil remaining cooking liquid, uncovered, until reduced to about 2 tablespoons.
7. Season liquid with pepper
8. Pour the reduction over lettuce, toss and serve.
If using romaine, slice off tops so hearts are 8 inches long.
Calories 88 Calories from Fat 56
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.9%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg5.4%
Sodium 466.3 mg19.4%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g2.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.7%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 3 g6.4%
Vitamin A 336.9% Vitamin C 67.5%
Calcium 8.3% Iron 10.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet