Oven Braised Lettuce
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs), salted|
|Onion||2 Tablespoon, finley chopped|
|Carrot||2 Tablespoon, finley chopped|
|Beef stock/Canned consomme||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Melted butter||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (325° F.).
2. Wash the lettuce and cook, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water two minutes. Drain and press lightly with a dry cloth. Cut each head in half.
3. Line the bottom of a buttered casserole with the bacon and sprinkle with the chopped onion and carrot. Tuck the tops of the lettuce under and place flat on top of the vegetables. Add the stock and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Cover with buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil and bake forty-five minutes.
5. Transfer the lettuce to a warm serving dish and keep hot. Reduce the liquid in the casserole and pour over the lettuce. Before serving, sprinkle with parsley and melted butter.