Leek And Lentil Supper Dish
|Dried lentils||12 (350 Gram)|
|Potatoes||2 Pound (1 Kilogram)|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Leeks||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Edam cheese||4 Ounce, grated (100 Gram)|
1. Cook the lentils in 900 ml/1 1/2 pints of water, bring to the boil stirring and cook fairly quickly for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well.
2. Peel potatoes, slice and cook in salted water until tender. Drain well and mash with 25 g/1 oz of the butter or margarine. Season well.
3. Trim the leeks and wash very thoroughly to remove grit. Slice thinly.
4. Melt the remaining butter or margarine in a saucepan, add the leeks, cover and cook very gently for 5-10 minutes, then stir in the lentils.
5. Beat the eggs and add 75 g/3 oz of the cheese; stir into the leek and lentil mixture.
6. Arrange the mashed potato at each end of an ovenproof dish.
7. Place the leek and lentil mixture in the centre.
8. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
9. Cook in a moderate oven (180°C, 350°F,) for 15 minutes to heat through.
10. Serve with a tomato salad.