Garlic Stuffed Pampas Steaks with Red Chile Sauce and Latin Lentils
|Guajillo chiles/Red new mexico/anaheim chilies||4 Ounce, dried|
|For the red chile sauce|
|Dried guajillo chiles/Dried red new mexico / anaheim chiles||4 Ounce|
|Roma tomatoes||5 (Plum)|
|Plum tomatoes||5 (Red Variety)|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the latin lentils|
|Green lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs), picked through and rinsed|
|Roma tomatoes||4 , seeded and diced (Plum)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Onion||1 , diced|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Roma plum tomatoes||4 , seeded and diced|
|Cilantro||1⁄2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Rib eye steaks||40 Ounce (Four 10 Ounce Each, Boneless)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄2 Tablespoon, minced|
|For the steaks|
|Boneless rib eye steaks||40 Ounce (4 Steaks, 10 Ounce Each)|
|Garlic||12 Clove (60 gm), cut in half lengthwise|
|Light olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the broiler.
2) In a heavy skillet, place the chiles in a single layer and dry-roast over a medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, shaking the skillet frequently.
3) In a mixing bowl, place the chilies, cover with hot water and allow to stand for 30 minutes, until rehydrated and soft.
4) Broil the tomatoes, turning frequently, until the skins are charred, keep aside.
5) In a small dry skillet, toast the cumin and oregano over a low heat for about 1 minute,
6) In a heavy saute pan or skillet, saute the garlic and onion in 1 tablespoon oil over a medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes, until just browned.
7) In a food processor or blender, process the blackened tomatoes, toasted cumin and oregano, salt, rehydrated chiles and 1/2 cup of water in which the chiles soaked together
until smooth and pureed.
8) Just before serving, in a deep, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil, stir in the chile puree and
cook over a high heat for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring continuously.
9) In a large saucepan, blanch the lentils in the boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, drain.
10) In a saucepan, place the lentils, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, then simmer on a low heat for 40 to 45 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
11) In a large, heavy saute pan or skillet, saute the garlic and onion in the oil over a medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft.
12) Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper and saute on a low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked lentils and cilantro, cook for another 5 minutes and keep warm.
13) Make 3 horizontal slits on each side of the steaks, stuff the slits with garlic slices and season the steaks with salt and pepper.
14) In a large heavy saute pan or skillet, sear the steaks in the oil over a medium-high heat for about 4 minutes each side for medium-rare or 5 to 6 minutes each side for medium.
15) On warm serving plates, ladle the sauce and place the steaks on the sauce. Spoon the lentils by the side and serve immediately.
Calories 1931 Calories from Fat 305
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 86 g132.1%
Saturated Fat 29.5 g147.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 362.2 mg120.7%
Sodium 1033.5 mg43.1%
Total Carbohydrates 130 g43.2%
Dietary Fiber 41.3 g165.4%
Sugars 43 g
Protein 170 g340.5%
Vitamin A 488.2% Vitamin C 167.6%
Calcium 49.5% Iron 136.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet