Lentil Soup With Root Vegetables
|Brown lentils||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, diced|
|Stalks celery||2 , diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Turnip/Parsnip||8 Ounce, diced|
|Carrots||2 Large, diced|
|Beef stock/Vegetable stock||2 Quart|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Take a sieve and place the lentils.
2. Rinse thoroughly under cold water.
3. Pick over the lentils carefully, discarding any small stones.
2. In a saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
3. Add the onion, celery, and garlic.
4. Saute the vegetables, stirring constantly, for about 6 minutes.
5. Add the turnip and carrots, and about 1/2 cup of the stock.
6. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are slightly soft.
4. Add the lentils, tomato paste, thyme, remaining stock, and bay leaf to the pan.
5. Stir the pan to combine all the ingredients.
6. Bring the soup to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, partially covered.
8.Stir occasionally, for about 50 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are very tender.
9. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
10. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.
11. Serve hot with bread.