Vegetable And Lentil Cottage Pie
|Brown lentils||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Sunflower oil||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Carrots||4 Ounce, finely chopped (125 Gram)|
|Celery stick||3 , diced|
|Paprika||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
|Chopped fresh marjoram||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Chopped fresh sage||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Tomato puree||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Shoyu||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Yeast extract||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Lentil stock/Water||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Potatoes||1 Pound, chopped (500 Gram)|
|Vegetable margarine||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram)|
|Skimmed milk||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, sliced|
|Sesame seeds||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
|Sage sprig||1 (For Garnish)|
|Marjoram sprig||1 (For Garnish)|
1. Wash the lentils. Cover with plenty of cold water in a large saucepan. Add the bay leaves, bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Drain well and reserve the stock. Remove the bay leaves and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion, carrots and celery for 5 minutes.
3. Add the cooked lentils, the paprika, marjoram and sage together with the tomato puree, shoyu, yeast extract and lentil stock. Cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes. Check the seasoning.
4. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until cooked. Drain, add the margarine and milk, and mash well.
5. Put the lentil mixture into the base of a large casserole. Cover with sliced tomatoes. Top with the mashed potato. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds, and bake in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 4, 350°F, 180°C for 30 minutes. Add the garnish of herbs and serve hot.