Lentils With Vegetables And Tamarind
|Toor dhal||2 Tablespoon|
|Masoor dhal||2 Tablespoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Green beans||1 Ounce, cut into pieces|
|Carrot||1 , diced|
|Tamarind pulp||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped coriander leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Corn oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried red chilies||3|
1. Mix together the toor and masoor dhal and wash them twice, running your fingers through them.
2. Drain them and put in a heavy-based saucepan. Add to this the ginger, garlic, turmeric, chilli powder, ground coriander, salt to taste, onion and curry leaves, followed by 600 ml / 1 pint of water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and cook, partly covered, for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check to see if the lentils have absorbed all the water; if they have, add more - up to 300 ml / 1/2 pint - and cook until the lentils are mushy enough to be mashed down to a paste, about 20-25 minutes.
3. Next add the green beans, carrots and potatoes, followed by a further 300 ml / 1/2 pint of water. Cook over a low heat for a further 5-7 minutes.
4. When the vegetables are cooked, add the tamarind, sugar and half the fresh coriander, followed by another 300 ml / 1/2 pint of water. Stir and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and transfer to a warmed serving dish.
5. Make the tarka: heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the mustard seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves. When the oil is hot and smoky, pour the tarka over the lentils.