Candied Lemon Peel
|Lemons||10 Pound (5 Large Ones)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Yellow food color||6 Drop|
1. Cut the lemons lengthwise and squeeze out as much juice from them as possible. Set the juice aside to chill till desired
2. In a large3-quart saucepan, pour in the 2 quarts of water and then tip in the peel. Bring this mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat to the boil and then simmer covered for 30-40 minutes till the peel is tender. Drain the mixture and cool slightly
3. Remove the peel and carefully scrape the peel to remove the excess pith from the peel
4. In the same saucepan, pour in one cup water and 2 cups sugar and corn syrup and food color. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and syrup comes to boiling. Continue cooking, without stirring, to 235F on candy
5. Add the lemon peel and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes or till the peel becomes translucent. Ensure that you lift the peel off the bottom of pan to prevent the peel from burning.
6. Turn the peel and syrup into a bowl and let it stand into a cool, dry place covered overnight.
7. Remove the peel from the syrup and set aside on a wire rack and let it drain for 3 hours.
8. Use a scissor to cut the peel into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Roll the strips in the rest of the sugar and place on a rack to dry. This will take 3 hours.
9. Store in a cool dry place and use in candies, cookies and cakes as required.
Calories 694 Calories from Fat 25
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.2%
Saturated Fat 0.35 g1.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 37.8 mg1.6%
Total Carbohydrates 230 g76.7%
Dietary Fiber 42.6 g170.5%
Sugars 124.5 g
Protein 11 g21.8%
Vitamin A 5.4% Vitamin C 1164.2%
Calcium 55.7% Iron 35.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet