Baked Aubergines Eggplants With Goat's Cheese, Garlic And Lemon
|Aubergines||2 Pound (4 Large Ones, 1/2 Lb / 225 Gram Each)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Pint|
|Goat cheese/Curd cheese||1⁄2 Pound (225 Gram)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced and grated rind|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped|
|Hard cheese||2 Ounce, grated (50 Gram)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Frying oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
1. Wash and dry the aubergines
2. Cut them lengthwise
3. Make criss-cross cuts in the flesh of the aubergines without damaging the aubergines completely.
4. Sprinkle the cut sides with sea salt and this will draw out the bitter juices.
5. Leave for 30 minutes and then rinse and dry
6. Scoop out most of the flesh inside the vegetables leaving a shell attached to the skin.
7. Set aside till required
8. In a large bowl, tip in the goat’s cheese, lemon juice and rind, garlic, grated cheese, parsley and the flour.
9. Add in the beaten eggs, aubergine (eggplant) pulp and seasoning.
10. Prepare the shells by rubbing them with a little olive oil.
11. Place the shells in a roasting tin in the oven
12. Fill each shell with the filling mixture.
13. Bake the shells and the filling at 400°F/200°C (Gas Mark 6) for 15 to 20 minutes, until the top of the filling is golden-brown.
14. Serve hot with sour cream and chives sprinkled on top of the baked shells.
The filled shells can also be panfried or shallow fried in olive oil for 3 minutes on each side. Shallow frying will cause the aubergines to absorb oil and baking would be best for a healthy diet.