Quinoa with Shrimp
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Quinoa grain||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Shrimp||1 Pound, peeled, deveined|
|Butter/Margarine/colored vegetable oil such as annatto oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Pinch|
|Onion||1 , chopped finely|
|Red bell pepper||1 , seeded, chopped finely|
|Green bell pepper||1 , seeded, chopped finely|
|Cilantro sprigs||4 , chopped finely|
1. In a pot pour water. Add the quinoa grains and salt to taste. Bring it to boil on medium high heat. Once boiled reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 20 minutes or till the grains are ¾ done.
2. Reduce the heat further to medium low, cover and continue to cook for another 15 minutes or till the water is fully absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Turn off the heat and fluff it up with fork. Set aside.
3. In a pan add onion, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro, cumin, salt to taste and butter. Place the pan on medium heat and cook till the onions are translucent. Add the shrimps and continue to cook till the shrimps curl, turn pink and are cooked (do not overcook the shrimps).
4. Add the cooked quinoa to the pan and mix thoroughly to coat all the quinoa with the sautéed vegetables and shrimp. Turn off the heat.
5. In a serving plate, serve the quinoa with shrimp hot.
Shrimp can be replaced with any sea food of choice.
Butter can be replaced with colored vegetable oil (annatto oil).
Calories 479 Calories from Fat 105
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.1%
Saturated Fat 4 g20.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 150.8 mg50.3%
Sodium 220.7 mg9.2%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g30.1%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 31 g62.8%
Vitamin A 26.7% Vitamin C 101.7%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 35.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet