Tostones Con Mojito
|For mojito sauce|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), chopped|
|Lemon||1 Medium, juiced|
|Canola oil/Corn oil||1 Ounce|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Ounce|
|White vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 Pinch|
|For the tostones|
|Salt/Adobo||To Taste (Optional)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (deep frying)|
|Salted water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (to put the cut bananas)|
1. MOJITO: In a mortar put the garlic and grind for about 1 minute.
2. Add the lemon juice to a small bowl and transfer the garlic from the mortar to the bowl with the lemon juice.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Season with salt if required.
4. TOSTONES: Peel the plantains or bananas under running water or in a large bowl--this is to prevent staining your hands. Also, green plantains do not peel as easily as ripe ones, and the water helps the peeling process.
5. Cut 1 inch slices of plantain straight across or at a 45 degree angle. Place in a bowl of salted water to prevent them from turning brown.
6. In a deep fryer or frying pan, heat vegetable oil to approximately 325 degrees (F).
7. Remove the plantains from water, placing them in a bowl with paper towels. Remove as much water from them before placing them in the hot oil. If you don't dry them off well, the oil will splatter.
8. Cook in oil until they are firm. Approximately 4 - 5 minutes. Remove from oil and let cool off.
9. Now you must flatten them. Placing the firmed plantains in the middle of the aluminium paper, press down with the palm of your hand to flatten.
10. Place on plate and season with salt or adobo.
11. Fry this flattened plantain until golden brown. This will only take several minutes.
12. When done, let the tostones drain any excess oil on a plate with paper towels.
13. In a serving plate, serve the tostones hot and can be garnished with shrimp or cheese accompanied with the Mojito dip.
Omit shrimp to make this dish vegan.
Calories 771 Calories from Fat 546
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g94.6%
Saturated Fat 7.4 g36.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 226.4 mg9.4%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.2%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20.1%
Sugars 28.7 g
Protein 3 g5.6%
Vitamin A 39% Vitamin C 72.6%
Calcium 4.4% Iron 8.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet