Humita Recipe - Savoury Corn Pudding
|Corn cobs||8 Medium, husks removed (sweet corn on the cob)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Whole milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh basil leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ancho chili paste/Crushed chili flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
1. Over a large mixing bowl, place a box grater and grate the kernels off 8 cobs of the sweet corn. Reserve all the liquid from the corn. Once grated, run the back of a chef’s knife along all the cobs to get the last of the juice out. Set aside.
2. In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and let cook for 6-8 minutes until translucent.
3. When the onion is done add the grated corn and continue to cook until it gets thick and creamy. Once thickened, stir in ¼ cup of whole milk and continue to cook until creamy.
4. When the milk has been absorbed, stir in the rest of the milk and continue cooking until the mixture has thickened once more for about 4-5 minutes.
5. Add ancho chili paste or crushed chili flakes, fresh basil leaves. Stir until combined, season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Humita can be served as a side dish with a nice steak or grilled fish, or can be microwaved in the oven to go with a good crusty bread.