Chicken lasagna is an Italian dish consisting of chicken, cheese sauce and lasagna pasta sheets baked in alternate layers. The dish is highly popular in the United States of America and Mexico with many variations available across the country. Chicken breasts are usually placed atop lasagna sheets after cooking them with olive oil and Italian herbs. The Mexican version uses hot chili peppers as well. Ground chicken meat and chicken soup are also utilized in the Tex-Mex version of the lasagna dish.
The lasagna dish is usually served warm along with coleslaw or a tossed salad. Italian bread is a popular accompaniment to the baked pasta while a light dessert is frequently served as a complementary dish to chicken lasagna.
The low-fat version of the lasagna dish consists of grilled chicken and cottage cheese baked along with whole-wheat pasta.
The dish is also marketed commercially by President's Choice, the largest food brand of Canada and “Michael Angelo's Gourmet Food,” a chain specializing in Italian entrees.
Chicken Lasagna Recipe Overview
Chicken Lasagna Alfredo is the name of the dish prepared in Italy which requires browning of the chicken breasts in olive oil. Leeks, mushrooms, and Italian herbs including basil, oregano and thyme are sautéed in the same oil. White wine together with chicken broth and limejuice is added to it and the entire contents of the pan simmered to create the basic sauce.
The lasagna is then assembled within a baking dish by arranging lasagna noodles, sauce, mozzarella cheese and béchamel sauce in alternate layers with the top most layer consisting of grated parmesan cheese. The dish is baked until the top turns golden brown, forming a crust.
Popular Chicken Lasagna Recipe Variations
Some of the most popular chicken lasagna variations include:-
- Mexican Chicken Lasagna- This version of the lasagna is a spicy combination of fried chicken, jalapenos, tomato and spaghetti sauces. Ricotta and Chihuahua cheeses are usually used instead of the traditional mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Creamy Lasagna- This is a Betty Crocker specialty dish where the sauce is cooked with milk and cooked chicken. Butter is also added to the ingredients along with several varieties of cheeses. The lasagna recipe does not recommend the use of tomato sauce at all.
- Salsa Chicken Lasagna- A hot and spicy Mexican dish made with salsa, lasagna sheets and chicken cubes arranged and baked in layers.
- Ground Chicken Lasagna- A variation of the classic Italian lasagna, prepared with ground chicken meat, cheese, and tomato sauce.
- BBQ Chicken Lasagne- A popular American dish, prepared with barbecue sauce and chicken along with an assortment of diced vegetables. This particular dish can be served as a complete meal when accompanied by a green salad.
Chef Jamie Oliver’s Chicken Lasagna recipe, made with smoked bacon and chicken broth apart from the usual ingredients, has become a popular dish at celebratory gatherings.