Susana's Aztec Lasagna
|Tomatillo||3 Cup (48 tbs), husked|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled|
|Cilantro leaves and stem||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Jalapeno pepper||1 Large, seeded|
|White onion||1 Small, chopped finely|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon|
|Corn tortillas||24 Medium (thin)|
|Canola oil||126 Gram, divided (½ cup+ 1 tablespoon for the onion)|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Mexican/ sour cream)|
|Chicken breast skinless||1 1⁄2 Medium, cooked, shredded|
|Cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), shredded (mexican blend/ cheddar/ Mozzarella + Edam)|
1. In a pot put the husked and rinsed tomatillos with the garlic. Cover with water and bring to a boil until the tomatillos are cooked through.
2. Cool them down and place them in a blender with some liquid, the cilantro and the chili pepper. Blend until to get a smooth sauce.
3. In the pot heat 1 tablespoon oil and add the onion. Cook for a few minutes until onion is lightly browned.
4. Pour the blended tomatillos to the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until salsa turns from bright green and starts turning light brown.
5. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
6. Add 1 cup of cream and stir well. Set aside.
7. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Heat the remaining oil in a deep skillet. When it is really hot, add the tortillas one at a time. Cook them for a few seconds on each side, until they start to brown. Place them on a paper towel lined dish.
9. Grease the bottom of a 9×13 pyrex dish with ¼ cup of cream.
10. Place 8 tortillas on the cream. If they have curled up when frying, go ahead and squish them down with the spatula. Do not worry if they break.
11. Pour 1/3 of the green salsa on the tortillas spreading it evenly on all of them.
12. Add half of the chicken and top with some cheese.
13. Repeat the process one more time.
14. Add a final layer of tortillas and the remaining salsa.
15. Cover the tortillas with the remaining cheese. Decorate the top with chili strips preferable poblano.
16. Place the casserole in the oven and bake it between 45 to 60 minutes. The casserole will be ready when you can see the sauce bubbling on the sides and the cheese has melted and browned a bit. Do not overcook it as it will be dry.
17. In a serving plate, serve it with a side of refried beans and guacamole.