Real Texas Lasagna Part 4
|Ground beef||500 Gram|
|Roma tomatoes||4 Large, chopped finely|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped finely|
|Garlic cloves||2 Large|
|Chilli peppers||3 Large, roasted and chopped|
|Tortillas||8 Medium, uncooked|
|Heinz chilli sauce||1 Bottle (1 l)|
|Cheddar cheese||250 Gram, grated (one half for topping the Lasagna and the other half for the cheese mixture)|
|Black olives||10 Medium, sliced|
|Jalapeno peppers||10 Medium, chopped finely|
|Ricotta cheese||250 Gram|
|Eggs||2 Large, lightly beaten|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon, freshly ground (as required)|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon (as required)|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
Making the sauce
1. In a deep bottomed vessel, boil the tomatoes.
2. Add the minced garlic, roasted peppers and half the onions.
3. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
4. Simmer the sauce to thicken it. The resulting sauce should neither be too thick nor too runny.
5. Empty a whole bottle of the Heinz Chilli sauce into the pan. Stir well.
6. Add the sliced olives to the sauce. Stir well.
7. Simmer the sauce on low heat for 15 minutes.
Frying the tortillas
8. In a frying skillet, lightly fry 4 of the tortillas in olive oil, till they are just done. It should not be crisp and crunchy.
9. Place the tortillas, over a paper towel, to remove the excess oil from them.
10. In the same frying pan, fry 4 more tortillas, till they are crisp.
11. Cut each ‘soft’ tortilla into three parts.
12. Break the crunchy tortillas into big pieces.
Cooking the ground beef
13. In a frying skillet, fry the remaining chopped onions along with the jalapenos.
14. Add the ground beef to the skillet. Stir well, to mix with onions and jalapenos.
15. Fry the mixture, till the ground beef gets browned.
Laying the Lasagna
16. In a bowl, add the cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese and the lightly beaten eggs. Mix very well using a spatula.
17. In a Pyrex/ovenproof baking pan, add a layer of the ground beef.
18. Add a layer of the mixed cheese, over the ground beef.
19. Add a layer of the tomato sauce on top of the cheese.
20. Spread the pieces of the ‘soft’ tortilla on top of the tomato sauce.
21. Repeat steps 22, 23 and 24, with the remaining ingredients.
22. Spoon some of the tomato sauce over the pieces of the soft tortilla.
23. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the sauce and top with the ‘crisp’ pieces of the tortilla.
24. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, at 350 F.
25. This dish is best served hot, from the oven.
Calories 1579 Calories from Fat 785
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 88 g135.5%
Saturated Fat 35.5 g177.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 291.4 mg97.1%
Sodium 4992.7 mg208%
Total Carbohydrates 142 g47.3%
Dietary Fiber 11.3 g45.2%
Sugars 61.4 g
Protein 61 g122.4%
Vitamin A 60.6% Vitamin C 198.5%
Calcium 68.4% Iron 27.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet