Real Texan Lasagna Part 1
|Ground beef||500 Gram|
|Roma tomatoes||4 Large, chopped finely (firm and red)|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped finely|
|Garlic clove||2 Large, minced|
|Chilli peppers||3 Large, roasted and chopped|
|Tortillas||8 Medium, uncooked|
|Heinz chilli sauce||12 Ounce (1 bottle)|
|Cheddar cheese||250 Gram, grated (one half for topping the lasagna and the other half for the cheese mixture)|
|Black olives||10 Medium, sliced|
|Jalapeno peppers||10 Medium, chopped|
|Ricotta cheese||200 Gram, crumbled|
|Eggs||2 Large, lightly beaten|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon, freshly ground (as required)|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon (as required)|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon (as required)|
Making the sauce
1. In a deep bottomed vessel, boil the tomatoes. 2. Add the minced garlic, roasted peppers and half the onions.
3. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
4. Simmer the sauce to thicken it. The resulting sauce should neither be too thick nor too runny.
5. Empty a whole bottle of the Heinz Chilli sauce into the pan. Stir well.
6. Add the sliced olives to the sauce. Stir well.
7. Simmer the sauce on low heat for 15 minutes.
Frying the tortillas
8. In a frying skillet, lightly fry 4 of the tortillas in olive oil, till they are just done. It should not be crisp and crunchy.
9. Place the tortillas, over a paper towel, to remove the excess oil from them.
10. In the same frying pan, fry 4 more tortillas, till they are crisp.
11. Cut each ‘soft’ tortilla into three parts.
12. Break the crunchy tortillas into big pieces.
Cooking the ground beef
13. In a frying skillet, fry the remaining chopped onions along with the jalapenos.
14. Add the ground beef to the skillet. Stir well, to mix with onions and jalapenos.
15. Fry the mixture, till the ground beef gets browned.
Laying the Lasagna
16. In a bowl, add the cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese and the lightly beaten eggs. Mix very well using a spatula.
17. In a Pyrex/ovenproof baking pan, add a layer of the ground beef.
18. Add a layer of the mixed cheese, over the ground beef.
19. Add a layer of the tomato sauce on top of the cheese.
20. Spread the pieces of the ‘soft’ tortilla on top of the tomato sauce.
21. Repeat steps 22, 23 and 24, with the remaining ingredients.
22. Spoon some of the tomato sauce over the pieces of the soft tortilla.
23. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the sauce and top with the ‘crisp’ pieces of the tortilla.
24. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, at 350 F.
25. This dish is best served hot, from the oven.
Calories 1364 Calories from Fat 771
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 86 g133%
Saturated Fat 34.5 g172.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 285.1 mg95%
Sodium 2751.8 mg114.7%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g31.1%
Dietary Fiber 11.3 g45.2%
Sugars 32.3 g
Protein 60 g119.6%
Vitamin A 59.5% Vitamin C 198.5%
Calcium 65.8% Iron 27%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet